Whether you need to complete an Idaho traffic school course to remove a ticket from your record or due to a court order, you want to make sure you choose the right online course. There are several options to choose from, and some are better than others.
Maybe you simply don’t want to sit in a classroom for an entire Saturday afternoon. You can work at your own pace and on your own time. Let’s look at some of the things to consider when choosing your online traffic school course in Idaho.
Why Do You Need an Idaho Traffic School Course?
You will want to take a traffic school course in Idaho to remove three points from your driving record. You can do this once every three years with an approved course online. It’s also possible to gain a discount on your insurance rates, even if you don’t need to remove points from your driving record.
After receiving a traffic violation, as long as you haven’t completed a course in the past three years, you can take one to keep three points from going on your record. This can help you avoid license suspension and keep your insurance rates from going up.
Topics Covered in Online Traffic School
There are several topics you will encounter when you take an Idaho traffic school course online. Most courses will be split into eight chapters with the following topics covered:
- State traffic laws
- Vehicle maintenance
- Highway safety
- Driving emergencies
- Alcohol and drug-impaired driving
You will also learn about the basic operations and some defensive driving tricks and tips to help you on the road. You will likely take a quick quiz at the end of each chapter, and you will need to score an 80% before moving on to the next section.
How to Know if You’re Eligible
The qualifications to take Idaho traffic school are pretty straight-forward and include:
- You must hold a valid driver’s license in Idaho (non-commercial)
- You cannot already have a suspended license
- You cannot have already taken the Idaho traffic school in the past 36 months
As long as you meet these basic requirements, you should be able to contact your local DMV and get permission to take an online Idaho traffic school course and remove three points from your driving record.
Types Traffic School Courses in Idaho
There isn’t just one traffic school course used for traffic violations in Idaho. The courses you may encounter include:
- Traffic Court Diversion Level 1 – This traffic course may be voluntary or court-ordered and is designed for those drivers with a recent citation. You can take this defensive driving course without a citation for an insurance discount or to fulfill an employment requirement.
- Idaho 3-Point Reduction – The most common of the traffic school courses in Idaho, this is often a voluntary course you can take to remove three points from your driving record and get an insurance discount. An employer may require it, but it’s often voluntary and not court-ordered.
- Idaho Traffic Level 2 – A defensive driving workshop for those convicted of driving aggressively or with multiple traffic violations. This is an eight-hour course for habitual offenders and will be court-ordered.
- Driving Without Privileges – This court-ordered course is used for those caught driving without a license or with a suspended license. It’s an eight-hour course and comes at a higher cost than the other courses.
The most common of the Idaho traffic school course is the point reduction course. Other options may be necessary if a judge decides you must take a specific course as a part of your sentencing.
Do I need to find a state-approved course?
Yes, you want to find a state-approved Idaho traffic school course, such as the course from iDriveSafely.com. There are several options out there, and you want to make sure the Idaho Department of Transportation has approved your online course to remove points from your driving record.
How long will my traffic school course in Idaho take?
The state requires your course to be at least six hours long. You can complete this course in a classroom in one day, or you can choose an online Idaho traffic school and complete the course at your own pace. The amount of time it takes to complete the course depends on your choice and the pace you decide to work at.
Some court-ordered traffic school courses in Idaho are eight hours long.
Will there be a final exam I have to pass?
Yes, you must score a 70% on the final exam to pass Idaho traffic school. The exam includes 25 multiple-choice questions. With most online traffic school courses, you will get unlimited retakes for chapter quizzes and the final exam, so you will be guaranteed to pass.
How much does an online traffic school cost in Idaho?
The cost of an online traffic school course in Idaho will vary a bit. However, the average cost comes in at about $20, with some as low as $15 when discounts are offered and others as high as about $30. If you were ordered by the court to take a specific traffic course, it might cost more than the prices listed here. Some courses can cost as much as $95 if ordered by the court for specific traffic violations.
There are many benefits to an online Idaho traffic school course. If you’ve agreed with the courts or have been ordered by the court to take a traffic course in Idaho, you can work at your own pace with an online version. This is a great way to avoid sitting in a classroom for many hours and paying a higher price for your Idaho traffic school course.