Auto insurance companies love safe drivers, and often, they show their appreciation for safe drivers in the form of discounts. Most often, that means drivers who complete defensive driving and other specialized driver education programs may be eligible for significant discounts on auto insurance premiums. Just think: you can save money by learning how to be safer on the road!
This is one of the easiest and effective ways to earn an auto insurance discount. You’ll improve your driving skills and save money with a discount that may last for a year or more. Read on to learn how defensive driving insurance discounts work — and see how much you can save with some of the leading auto insurers today.
Discounts on Auto Insurance for Defensive Driving
Defensive driving discounts offered by insurance companies can vary significantly. Some companies do not offer discounts, while others may offer discounts of up to 20%. Most often, drivers can expect a discount of about 10%.
Requirements for Earning Defensive Driving Insurance Discounts
Most insurance companies have specific requirements for earning a premium discount by completing defensive driving. They may have age requirements, such as teen or senior drivers. Insurance companies will typically also require that you complete a qualifying defensive driving course with a minimum number of hours, as well as show document of course completion. Most will honor both classroom and online defensive driving courses as long as they are approved by authorities in your state.
Defensive Driving Insurance Discount Exclusions
Discounts on auto insurance for defensive driving are not automatic, so you’ll need to check your eligibility before enrolling. Typically, insurers will not offer a discount if you’ve taken defensive driving to waive a traffic ticket or as part of a court order. In some states, discounts may only be eligible to elderly or teen drivers. Or, you may find that defensive driving insurance discounts aren’t available in your state or with your insurance company at all. It’s best to find out if you’ll be able to earn this discount before you make plans to take a defensive driving course.
Renewing Defensive Driving Insurance Discounts
Once you complete a defensive driving course for an insurance discount, you’ll need to keep up with it. This is not a lifetime discount, as insurance companies want to make sure you’re refreshing your safe driving knowledge on a regular basis. Most will require that you retake the course every two years or so to keep your defensive driving course discount active.
Shop Around for the Best Defensive Driver Insurance Discounts
As insurance discounts for defensive driving can vary significantly by company, you may find that you’ll need to shop around to find the best rate and discount. One insurer may offer a lower initial rate, but not offer a discount, while others may have a higher rate, but a better discount, ultimately making your premium lower. If your current insurance company does not offer defensive driving premium discounts, consider getting quotes from other companies to find out if you can save.
Which Insurance Companies Have the Best Defensive Driver Discounts?
Find out which leading insurance companies offer defensive driver discounts. Plus, see how much you could save just by completing a defensive driving course.
- GEICO: In many states, GEICO offers up to 10 percent on applicable coverages for drivers who have completed an approved defensive driving course. All eligible courses will be accepted, however, GEICO has partnerships with defensive driving course providers who offer a discounted price and convenient processing for GEICO policyholders.
- Nationwide: In select states, policyholders aged 55 and older can qualify for defensive driver discounts after completing a qualifying course.
- Allstate: Allstate offers a defensive driver discount to drivers who are 55 years old or older. Drivers must complete six or more hours of defensive driving courses and have no violations or at fault claims. Allstate’s discount is up to 10 percent.
- State Farm: In some states, State Farm offers car insurance discounts for taking driver safety courses. Customers may also qualify for driver training discounts.
- Farmers: Farmers offers a senior defensive driver discount to drivers 55 or 65 years or older, depending on the state. Drivers must have successfully completed a driver education course approved by the Department of Motor Vehicles with a certificate of completion.
- Esurance by Allstate: In most states, Esurance offers a defensive driver discount of up to 10 percent for three years. It is most often applied to drivers ages 50 or older (sometimes 55 or 60, depending on the state) who have completed a defensive driving or driver improvement class. In New York, New Jersey, Georgia, and Oklahoma, drivers of all ages can claim Esurance’s defensive driver discount. Drivers in South Carolina have an age requirement of just 25 and older.
- Safeco: Safeco encourages drivers to complete an accident prevention course. In most states, drivers 55 and older can get a discount for three years after completing an approved defensive driving course.
- Amica: Pass Amica’s defensive driver course, and you may qualify for a discount on your auto insurance. The discount applies at policy renewal.
- 21st Century: 21st Century Insurance offers discounts of 10 percent, even 15 percent or more for completing a defensive driving course. Renew your defensive driver course within 90 days prior to your three year expiration, and your discount will grow to 15 percent effective on your next renewal date.
- USAA: USAA offers a defensive driving discount for approved customers. Age restrictions may apply. They also offer a discount for drivers younger then 21 who have completed a basic driver training course.
- AARP: Drivers insured by AARP may qualify for an auto insurance discount for completing an approved driver improvement course.
Aurora Defensive Driving
Want the best defensive driving course in Aurora CO? Top Picks: A+ Driving School & Western Slope Driving Institute + the best CO Court approved online course!
Oakland Defensive Driving
Want the best defensive driving course in Oakland California? Top Picks: Go-Green Driving School, Mission Driving School & Bay Area Driving School!
Pearland Defensive Driving
Want the best defensive driving course in Pearland TX? Top Picks: Road Ready Driving School & Comedy Guys Defensive Driving!
Corpus Christi Defensive Driving
Want the best defensive driving course in Corpus Christi TX? Top Picks: Hinojosa Driving School, Texas Pro Driving School, & Texas Driving School!
New Orleans Defensive Driving
Want the best defensive driving course in New Orleans LA? Top Picks: Lingle Driving, Drive Dat, Academics of Driving & Abix Driving Academy!
21 Tips for Pet Car Safety
Driving with your pet can be fun and exciting. It can also be deadly if not carried out correctly. Here are 21 tops for pet safety in cars!